Neighbour wakes to screams after alleged Melbourne home invasion

Neighbour wakes to screams after alleged Melbourne home invasion

A neighbour has described the moment a group of young males allegedly broke into a home in Melbourne’s south-east last night.

The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, said she believed “someone was being murdered” after waking to screams in Carrum Downs about 8.15pm.

Police believe a group of males allegedly entered the home, before demanding car keys from the resident.

READ MORE: Victoria to introduce tobacco licensing scheme amid firebombings

“It was just a hell of a lot of noise,” the neighbour described.

“It wasn’t the most pleasant thing anyone would ever want to hear. (The man was) more like screaming for (help). Just over and over again.”

The trio allegedly fled in a grey Mercedes, which was traced to Wonthaggi just before 1am today.

Police believe the group picked up a 14-year-old boy before the Mercedes was seen travelling along the Bass Highway at speed, overtaking across double lines.

The Mercedes was spotted on the South Gippsland Highway at Tooradin about 1.30am, which was tracked by police through several suburbs.

Stop sticks were deployed on the Nepean Highway at Cheltenham, forcing the Mercedes to halt.

Five males aged 14-20 allegedly fled on foot near Station Street, but were quickly arrested.

READ MORE: Man shot while sitting in car at traffic lights in Melbourne’s south-east

A 14-year-old boy from Wonthaggi was charged with theft of motor vehicle and appeared in a children’s court today, where he was remanded to a children’s court at a later date.

A 16-year-old boy from Clyde was also remanded until a later date, after being charged with multiple offences including attempted burglary.

Another 16-year-old boy from Dandenong was charged with two counts of armed robbery and was remanded until a later date.

A 19-year-old Dandenong man was charged with theft of motor vehicles but bailed to attend court on July 17.

Another 20-year-old Dandenong man was also charged with the same offence, and bailed to attend court on June 28.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *