Jon Bon Jovi underwent surgery on his vocal cords (Picture: Shutterstock)
Jon Bon Jovi has opened up about returning to his singing career after being forced to undergo surgery on his vocal cords.
The 61-year-old has been behind some of the biggest songs in music, including Livin’ On A Prayer, It’s My Life and Wanted Dead Or Alive.
Appearing at a Hulu panel at the Television Critics Association, the Independent reports that he told the crowd: ‘I pride myself on having been a true vocalist.
‘I’ve sung with Pavarotti. I know how to sing. I’ve studied the craft for 40 years. I’m not a stylist who just barks and howls. I know how to sing.
‘So when God was taking away my ability, and I couldn’t understand why, I jokingly have said the only thing that’s ever been up my nose is my finger — you know, so there’s no reason for any of this.’
Going into detail about his health issues, he continued: ‘One of my cords was literally atrophied.
‘Your vocal cords are supposed to look parallel. Let’s pretend that they’re as thick as a thumb, one of mine was as thick as a thumb and the other was as thick as a pinkie. The strong one was pushing the weak one aside. My craft was being taken from me.
‘Fortunately, I found this surgeon who was able to do this really cutting-edge implant to build the cord back up.
‘It’s still in process, but, as I say in the film, in the latter episodes, if I just had my tools back… The rest of it I can deal with. I can write you a song. I can perform as well as anybody, but I need to get my tools back.’
Jon underwent nearly two years of rehab on his injury (Picture: FilmMagic)
It took Jon nearly two years of rehabilitation, but he has returned to the stage and it’s like he never left.
He appeared alongside Bruce Springsteen at the Musicales Person of the Year, as his pal was honored for his music efforts.
’19-and-a-half months into my rehab, Friday night was the first time that I sung in public,’ he added. ‘Saturday morning is the first time I woke up without multiple voices in my head. It was just me.’
Jon will be delving into his incredible career – and his recuperation – in his upcoming four-part docuseries, Thank You, Goodnight: The Bon Jovi Story.
He returned to the stage earlier this month (Picture: Shutterstock)
It will premiere on Hulu on April 26, with the synopsis reading: ‘Thank you, Goodnight: The Bon Jovi Story is a four-part, all access docuseries chronicling the epic past and uncertain future of one of the most recognizable bands in the world and its front-man, Jon Bon Jovi.
‘A 40-year odyssey of rock and roll idolatry on the precipice as a vocal injury threatens to bring everything to a screeching halt.
‘Thank You, Goodnight: The Bon Jovi Story joins the band in February, 2022, and follows their real time journey with its fits and starts as they attempt to chart out their future.’
‘As thrilling as the story of a once-in-a-lifetime talent is, it is even more rare that a legend like Jon Bon Jovi lets the world into his most vulnerable moments, while he’s still living them,’ it continued.
’40 years of personal videos, unreleased early demos, original lyrics and never before seen photos that chronicle the journey from Jersey Shore Clubs to the biggest stages on the planet.
‘The series relives the triumphs and setbacks, greatest hits, biggest disappointments and the most public moments of friction.’
Bring it on.
Thank You, Goodnight: The Bon Jovi Story premieres on Hulu on April 26.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.