Police give major update on ashes given to families from raided funeral parlour

Police give major update on ashes given to families from raided funeral parlour

Branches were raided by police last month (Picture: Danny Lawson/PA Wire)

Families who were given ashes by a Yorkshire funeral director may never know if the remains are actually their relative’s, police have said.

Several sites run by Legacy Funeral Directors were raided by Humberside Police a month ago, and the force has since received more than 2,000 calls from worried members of the public.

Officers recovered 35 deceased from one of the branches on Hull’s Hessle Road, and ‘extensive work’ is ongoing to formally identify them.

A statement described this as a ‘lengthy process’, but one necessary to offer ‘complete assurance as to the identity of their loved ones’ before the bodies are returned to family members.

However, Assistant Chief Constable Thom McLoughlin admitted the ‘significant number’ of people who contacted the force about the identification of their loved one’s ashes cannot be given such reassurance.

He said: ‘We have been working closely with forensic scientists and specialists to assess whether it was possible to extract DNA from the human ashes in order to identify them.

‘Whilst the expert opinion provides us with assurance that the proper crematorium process had been followed; unfortunately, given the high temperature required to carry out a cremation, the DNA will have been broken down and degraded to such a level, that we would not be able to recover a meaningful DNA profile.

‘This means that we are unable to identify any of the human ashes.

‘This will, of course, be devastating news for families and loved ones and you have my heartfelt condolences at this difficult time.’

Three branches of the funeral director in Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire were cordoned off by police (Picture: Danny Lawson/PA Wire)

On March 10, a 46-year-old man and 23-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of ‘prevention of a lawful and decent burial’, fraud by false representation, and fraud by abuse of position.

ACC McLoughlin said: ‘I can confirm that a man and a woman remain on police bail in connection to the investigation.’

This is a developing news story, more to follow soon… Check back shortly for further updates.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *