Three suspects flee UK after Iranian journalist stabbed in London

Three suspects flee UK after Iranian journalist stabbed in London

Pouria Zeraati was attacked close to his home in Wimbledon (Picture: Pouria Zeraati/Instagram)

Three men suspected of stabbing a journalist outside his home in London have left the UK, police say.

Pouria Zeraati, who works for the Iran International television channel, was attacked near his home in Wimbledon on Friday afternoon.

Two men approached and attacked him, leaving him with leg injuries, before running to a waiting car driven by a third male.

The Metropolitan Police now says the three suspects went to Heathrow Airport after abandoning the vehicle and have left the UK.

They say the motive behind the attack is ‘unclear’ and counter-terrorism officers are investigating due to previous threats being directed towards the same group of journalists.

Forensics experts are now examining the getaway car – a blue Mazda 3 – which was found abandoned in the New Malden area.

Commander Dominic Murphy, Head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said: ‘As a result of a very comprehensive investigation, at pace, we have identified three suspects who we believe, left the UK within hours of the attack.

‘Detectives trawled CCTV and made extensive enquiries resulting in the identification and recovery of a vehicle used by the suspects to leave the scene.

‘We have established that after abandoning the vehicle, the suspects travelled to Heathrow Airport and have left the UK. We are now working with international partners to establish further details.

‘I must reiterate that we are still at an early stage of our investigation, we do not know the reason why this victim was attacked and there could be a number of explanations for this.

‘All lines of enquiry are being pursued and we are keeping an open mind on any potential motivation for the attack.

‘I appreciate the concern this incident has caused, for local people and all those impacted. Additional patrols are continuing in the Wimbledon area and at other locations in London. If you have any concerns, please do speak with these officers.

‘I am grateful to everyone who has assisted officers with their enquiries or provided witness accounts to police.’

More Trending

Read More Stories

Pouria, 36, has since been discharged from hospital following the attack. He previously shared a defiant selfie on social media from his hospital bed, smiling and holding up a peace sign.

Iran International station today admitted they have been regularly targeted by Iran’s revolutionary guards. 

The London-based dissident channel aims to provide independent coverage of Iran, but the Tehran regime has declared it a terrorist organisation.

Spokesman Adam Baillie said the incident was ‘hugely frightening’ but Pouria was ‘doing very well’ following the attack.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *