Inside filthy Chinese takeaway with grimy sinks and food scattered in freezers

Inside filthy Chinese takeaway with grimy sinks and food scattered in freezers

The incredibly messy kitchen at Woo-Kee Chop Suey Bar in Leeds (Picture: Men Media)

Photos show the extraordinary state of a Chinese takeaway kitchen that received a one-star hygiene rating.

Pictures taken at Woo-Kee Chop Suey Bar in Leeds reveal a hugely cluttered kitchen, with mountains of stuff piled in every corner, food left uncovered and scattered in fridge-freezers, and sinks covered with grime.

Leeds City Council inspectors visited the takeaway in Station Road, Cross Gates, on July 3 last year on behalf of the Food Standards Agency (FSA).

The photos taken have only just been released following a FOI (Freedom of Information) request.

In their report, inspectors said management of food safety needed ‘major improvement,’ and improvement was also necessary for ‘cleanliness and condition of facilities and building’.

It added hygienic food handling was considered to be ‘generally satisfactory’.

Woo-Kee Chop Suey Bar has been approached for a comment.

Stuff is piled in every conceivable space (Picture: Men Media)

Food scattered in the freezer (Picture: Men Media)

Last week shared an interactive map of the 800-plus eateries across the England, Wales and Northern Ireland with a food hygiene rating of zero. Scotland uses a different rating system.

The data was released by the FSA.

All businesses that serve food are awarded with a hygiene rating between zero – urgent improvement necessary – and five – very good – and they are required to display that rating.

A bowl with what appears to be left-out, stale food (Picture: Men Media)

The takeaway was told food safety needed ‘major improvement’ (Picture: Men Media)

Last month, a report by the FSA found one in five UK takeaways failed basic food handling and cleanliness checks.

Over the years, has reported on a number of shocking incidents at restaurants across the country.

In October, Golden Phoenix in the capital’s Chinatown was given a zero-star food hygiene rating after a diner with a ‘severe and life-threatening’ nut allergywas hospitalised after allegedly being served a contaminated dish.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *