Sixteen children hospitalised after suspected poisoning at ice-skating rink

Sixteen children hospitalised after suspected poisoning at ice-skating rink

More than a dozen children have been hospitalised after suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at an ice-skating rink in Adelaide’s west.

Firefighters from the Metropolitan Fire Service have been on scene at the Ice Arena at James Congdon Drive, Thebarton, since 3am to test for harmful gases after receiving an emergency call from the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

The fire service confirmed 16 children were admitted to hospital last night with high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning, calling their conditions “significant but not life-threatening”.

READ MORE: Woman charged with attempted murder after baby allegedly found with stab wound

Two girls were initially admitted to hospital showing symptoms of poisoning, prompting the hospital to send the Metropolitan Fire Service to the ice rink.

Crews this morning uncovered high levels of chemicals in the air, including carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide.

Firefighters are reportedly still on scene and ventilating the area.

A spokesperson from the Metropolitan Fire Service said investigators believed a dehumidifier and an ice resurfacer were responsible for the poisonings, and were currently investigating.

“They’ve determined two pieces of machinery that could potentially have caused the hazardous situation,” the spokesperson said.

”They have isolated the machinery and are testing to see if that’s the cause.”

SA Health has been contacted for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *