Boy, 14, dies after playing football match in 35°C degree heat

Boy, 14, dies after playing football match in 35°C degree heat

Lisandro Agustin Lazarte, 14, died in hospital after the football match (Picture: X/Argentinos Juniors)

A 14-year-old boy collapsed and died after playing a football match in 35°C heat.

It happened in San Martin, Yerba Buena city, Argentina, at around 11.15am on Saturday.

The boy named as Lisandro Agustin Lazarte was taken to hospital via private car where he was declared dead and witnesses at the scene of the football match said there were no medics on site to help.

Lazarte was playing for the Argentinos Juniors team against Club Atletico San Martin in a Tucuman football league match at the Natalio Mirkin Complex.

He played less than five minutes into the first half when he collapsed while running on the pitch.

Football teams, including Argentinos Juniors and Club Atletico San Martin, have expressed their condolences for Lazarte’s death.

Viviana Castillo, director of the Caps San Jose hospital where Lazarte was treated said: ‘Lizarte was admitted at 11.30am with cardiorespiratory arrest; cardiopulmonary resuscitation was performed and he did not respond, then the relevant procedure was carried out with the police.’

His body was moved to the morgue for autopsy at around 5pm the same day.

The football match was played at the Natalio Mirkin Sports Complex (Picture: Facebook/Natalio Mirkin Sports Complex)

A tribute has been posted to the 14-year-old (Picture: Argentinos Juniors)

Parents had complained about the match schedule and demanded the games took place when temperatures were lower.

The relevant authorities have been urged by local media to enforce health protections for athletes, especially during periods of intense heat in Argentina between 11am and 6pm.

Investigations are ongoing and there is no official cause of death yet.

More: Trending

Neighbouring South American country Brazil is experiencing a record-breaking heatwave and a two-year-old boy was left to die inside a school bus during it.

Apollo Gabriel Rodrigues was allegedly forgotten about by the driver and his wife as temperatures soared to 37°C last Tuesday.

The driver, named locally as Flavio Robson Benes, 45, discovered the toddler unconscious on the back of the seat at around 4pm.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *