Commissioner’s son in serious condition after hit by car at schoolies

Commissioner’s son in serious condition after hit by car at schoolies

The 18-year-old son of South Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stevens is on life support after being struck by a car at a popular schoolies location south of Adelaide.

Charlie Stevens was hit at 9pm on Friday at Goolwa Beach.

The car did not stop at the scene, but it was pulled over by officers on Port Elliot Road at Goolwa, SA Police allege.

READ MORE: Commissioner’s inquiry to be held into SA Police shooting, says Minister

The 18-year-old sustained serious injuries and was airlifted to Flinders Medical Centre, where he remains on life support.

Deputy Commissioner Linda Williams shed a tear while explaining that Stevens suffered an “irreversible” brain injury in the incident.

“He is with his family…as you can imagine, this is a very difficult statement for me to make,” Williams said as she addressed the media.

“We always talk about this happening to other people but the reality is it can happen to anyone, any family or anyone in the community.”

South Australia Premier Peter Malinauskas said the incident was “unjust”.

“Grant Stevens has served South Australia as a member of SA Police for 40 years, his whole life he has dedicated himself to protecting others, he has shown extraordinary leadership in some of the most difficult circumstances our state has ever confronted.”

“It is just so unjust that he and his family have now had to endure this great tragedy themselves,” Malinauskas said

“The entirety of the state, our thoughts are with Commissioner Stevens, his wife Emma, and all of their children.”

Charlie works as an apprentice carpenter and had recently left school to pursue the trade.

The 18-year-old driver of the car from Encounter Bay was charged with causing harm by dangerous driving, aggravated driving without due care, leaving the scene of a serious crash and failing to truly answer questions.

Police have refused the teen bail and he will appear in Christies Beach Magistrates Court on Monday.

Police said they are still in the early stages of the investigation. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *